Native Alberta News – The Tŝilhqot’in Nation is urging Canada to take action to address systemic racism, particularly between First Nations and the RCMP and is calling to reform and remodel training for the RCMP to include better First Nation awareness. The RCMP seem to:
- lack an understanding of Indigenous peoples
- fail to understand our Indigenous rights and authority
- fail to understand the sensitivity of communicating in such a manner given our people’s history with residential schools.
- don’t understand indigenous people and how the institutions in this country have been created in a way that is implicitly biased.
- Training within the RCMP is needed so that we can better identify all the underlying issues, make recommendations and improvements and, from there, begin healing.