March 5, 2021: In response to the Viens Commission, the MMIWG Inquiry and ZERO TOLERANCE, the government of Québec announced an investment of $19.2M in the following areas:
- Hiring additional Indigenous workers responsible for providing crime victims assistance services ($7.7 million):
These workers will be deployed in the CAVAC network and in Indigenous organizations that have established victim assistance services, or that wish to do so.
- An increased deployment of courtworker services for Indigenous people ($6 million):
- Adjustment of the compensation for courtworkers already employed ($1 million);
- Increased funding for the operation of Indigenous organizations responsible for providing courtworker services ($2.5 million);
- Hiring of new courtworkers from within the community for First Nations and Inuit ($2.5 million);
- Improvement and deployment of interpreter services in Indigenous languages ($5.5 million):
- Development of agreements with Indigenous organizations for the training, accreditation and hiring of interpreters in Indigenous languages in the context of justice-related activities.